The first-ever REALTORS Care® Week is in the books! From November 18-22, we here at CREA were proud to engage in meaningful conversations about the importance of safe and affordable housing.
We shared a series of three blog posts featuring video interviews with experts, including Michael Braithwaite of Blue Door Shelters, Shanan Spencer-Brown of the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation, and Michel Tremblay of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation:
- What REALTORS® Can Do to Help End and Prevent Homelessness
- What REALTORS® Can Do to Help Domestic Violence Survivors Facing Housing Challenges
- What REALTORS® Can Do to Help Accelerate Housing Affordability
We were also so proud to see so many REALTOR®-led volunteer projects in support of housing and shelter-related causes taking place across the country, including the following five we highlighted on REALTORSCare.ca throughout the week:
- Members of the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver, the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board and the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board once again collected blankets and warm clothes for the most vulnerable residents across the Lower Mainland of British Columbia as part of the 25th Annual REALTORS Care® Blanket Drive.
- The Manitoba Real Estate Association celebrated the 10-year anniversary of Manitoba Tipi Mitawa—their affordable homeownership program for First Nations families in partnership with the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs—and hosted an official launch of the program as a registered charity in Winnipeg.
- Members of the Saint John Real Estate Board gave the resource room at the Saint John Newcomers Centre a much-needed makeover, turning this space into a cozy home away from home for the newest citizens of Greater Saint John.
- Inspired by the charitable works of our members, CREA staff and special REALTOR® guests supported our neighbours at Centre 507 in Ottawa by collecting donations of their clients’ most-needed items, assembling “kindness kits,” and preparing and serving a comforting chili lunch.
- Members of the Calgary Real Estate Board participated in a double build day at Habitat for Humanity Southern Alberta’s Silver Springs development as part of their current three-year, $1 million partnership that will provide homeownership opportunities for 32 low-income families.
Thank you to everyone who participated in REALTORS Care® Week. We hope it was a transformative experience for you and your fellow volunteers. As you reflect on the event, we urge you to consider how you might continue to engage with your charity or community partner year-round and help move the needle for your neighbours facing barriers to safe and affordable housing.